Saturday, December 20, 2008

Unemployment

It's official. I am unemployed!

And we're in a recession, and jobs are being cut, and holy smokes, I'm unemployed!

It is actually amazing, but I'll resist from more exclamation points. The truth is people have mixed reactions when I tell them I decided to resign from my job without having a new one lined up and I am looking forward to being unemployed.

Skeptics:
"In this economy?"
"What do you mean you don't have a new job?"
"Why would you quit your job if you didn't have a new one?"

Envious:
"You're going to do whatever you want for however long you want. I wish I could do that."
"I wish I didn't have to work."
"I hate my job, but I need the money."

Dreamers:
"Wow."
"Good for you."
"I hope you find what you're looking for."

I like currently being a dreamer. I honestly think I've put in more than enough time lately and I deserve to do this for myself. I'm taking a sabbatical. My friend Coleman doesn't believe I can appropriately call this life phase a sabbatical; "You haven't worked for seven years," he says. I beg to differ. The way I see it, I've been working my ass off since September 1999, when I started college and haven't stopped since. Sometimes, a break is necessary. Some people take a mental health day once a month. I'm taking an open-ended break from the working world.

I'm going to use this time to dream, explore, reflect, and regroup.

Unemployment might be scary to some people, and I recognize my fortune in having a family who is willing to support me so I can take the time to grow and "figure it all out." It's only scary if you let it be scary, and I don't plan to let that happen. I plan to take each day one day at a time and see what happens.

Embrace the question mark. It is your friend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Deep stuff Carol. Sometimes things happen for reasons we cannot understand at the present time!

An early Merry Christmas! Hopefully we'll see more blogs now that you're home.