Thursday, December 11, 2008

Awkward Hugs

My friend Tia today said, "I love to watch awkward hugs."

This was in response to an awkward hug I received at a work function today. This person I know at work, who I believe to be one of the most uncaring, cold, and bitter individuals I have ever met, felt it necessary to give me a hug to say goodbye. This wasn't just any hug, mind you. See I went in for the casual one arm "gee, thanks" type of hug that usually lasts about 1.8 seconds. This person went in the for full two-arm sucking-the-life-out-of-you hug and it lasted an unbearable 8 full seconds. All the time I was thinking, "Oh God, help me. This is so fake. Oh God, make it end. Please now." It was brutally awkward. I still feel kind of weird about the whole thing. Really, I do.

And by the way, the word "awkward" is really awkward.

No comments: