Thursday, December 11, 2008

Law of Averages

In the last few weeks, there has been a few moments at work where I consciously think to myself, "This is just one of the many reasons I don't want to do my job anymore."

Today's moment came when a graduating senior, who has created his own degree in construction management through a variety of math, physics, and engineering technology courses, said to me:

"Carol, I don't understand how I got a B+ in my communication class. My test scores were 90, 85, and 75, and I got a B on my paper."

Hmmmmmmmmm... really?

You really think this averages out to be 90 or higher?!?! Honestly?!?

Even after I showed him the math and explained to him how averages work in two different ways, he still didn't get it. Still not convinced. The math does not lie, my friend.

God help us if this individual is actually going to construct buildings in the future. I mean, honestly. But he's graduating in two days and that is pretty amazing. Really. A-mazing.

No comments: