Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Loud Clapper and Rubber Boy

Last Friday, two of my students invited me to watch the Bulls play the Grizzlies. Knowing this was probably my last chance to spend time with them and my last chance to see an NBA game, I decided to join in for the adventure. I am so glad I did.

For starters, we sat next to this crazy 60-year-old woman who could be considered a die-hard Grizzlies fan. I didn't even know there could be such a thing as the Grizzlies tend to suck, but she was pretty intense. About 5 minutes into the game, she said to us, "Are you going to talk the whole time or are you actually going to watch the game?" Excuse me, lady, I didn't know anyone actually cared what happened at a Grizzlies game. I mean, they used to be the worst team in the nation, how intense could it be?

This was the moment I noticed her bright maroon velour pants. Obviously, this was humorous. You can kinda see them in this photo, behind my hair.

We also noticed she was a loud clapper. Seriously. She clapped so loud, she could have been heard over the drilling I hear in my office every day. It was obnoxious. Loud, booming clapping. Again, I never knew there could be such a thing. One of the students noted, "I think she has mental problems." I think he was on to something there.

The second great part of this experience was the halftime entertainment, Rubber Boy. A man who is double jointed throughout his whole body is just plain creepy. Dude came out in a box and then widdled his body into strange concoctions. The best is shown in this photo, where his feet are over his head. I was lucky to get this photo before dude kissed his own ass. It's true. It was disgusting. Or maybe it was unbelievable. I dunno.

The whole experience was pretty wacko, but I am so glad to have shared in it. Honestly, you can't plan for these things to happen. Life is better when other people do weird shit and you get to be an observer. Reminds me of college, actually.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel for you with that loud lady next to you, Carol. I once went to a soccer match and sat in front of a woman...she was probably in her early 30's I would guess, and rather well dressed....who had, quite literally, the loudest clap I have ever heard in my life. It was like a gunshot!. I have no idea how she managed to make such a loud noise just by clapping her hands but seriously it was so loud it made me feel sick! Even my husband, who has cloth ears, couldn't stand it. At half time we went and sat somewhere else, but we could still hear her clapping over the rest of the crowd. I never realised that it was possible for a person to clap as loud as she did...it was awesome...not to mention annoying!

Katie P