Monday, December 15, 2008

Packages, boxes, and bags

Today I began the arduous task of packing my life into boxes. It's finally my last week in Memphis so it's time to get everything sorted and packed. I began my packing focus today with the items I tend not to use on a regular basis or things that I wouldn't need throughout the week. As evident in this photo, I have a shit-ton of stuff.

In essence, every item put in these boxes is an item that I don't actually "need" in the truest sense of the word. Books, movies, photo frames, crock pots, food processors, fake flowers... not one of these items is a critical component to my health or well-being or daily existence. Yet, I find reasons to keep each item because of sentimental value or for help in the kitchen. These are items that I have convinced myself I "need" in order to make my life better, but in actuality, I could live a healthy and happy life without them.

The bigger task will come in a few days when my dad and I have to drag all of this stuff into a moving van and then drive it home to PA. Most of this stuff includes items I have accumulated in the past 4 years, but some of it dates back to college and grad school. It makes me wonder how much of this will be with me five years from now. Will I still need all of these things in the future to have the life I want?

No comments: