Tuesday, December 23, 2008

... and I'm Way Way Tired.

We landed in Mount Carmel around 1:30pm. Thankfully, we made it safely without any issues. Traffic was heavy for the entire ride, and I'll be happy if I don't have to do much interstate driving for a while. It gets pretty boring after 16 hours in the same position. I really don't know how truckers do that day in and day out.

My friend Brandon also gets to be recognized as Friend of the Month because he so graciously helped my dad and I unpack all of my crap. This was in some ways more daunting because it was roughly 19 degrees and windy, which made for absolutely freezing conditions for this endeavor. It didn't take very long, though, to drop most of my stuff at my grandmother's garage.

I've been convinced since I made this decision that I would be home living with the family and sleeping on a twin-sized bed. A nice kick to the ego, if you ask me, since I have one of the greatest beds ever made. My dad, however, seemed convinced that my queen-sized bed would fit into my brother's old room. After looking around, I was convinced too that the bed would fit in the room.... that is, if you can get it up the stairs.

As you can guess, my ego remains deflated, as the box spring and mattress were too big to make the turn to get up the stairs. My wonderful bed is back at my grandmother's, sitting in a cold
lonely garage. Very sad moment for me, I must tell you. I had my hopes up to sleep in a real bed, now I must succomb to sleeping in the fetal position on a twin. Depressing.

As appropriate for one's first night back in Mount Carmel, I joined my brother and some friends for a round of trivia at a local dive bar, located one block from my parents' house. We tied for second, which is really just annoying. I mean, let's be honest, I could have used the prize money to assist in my current unemployment. But more importantly, I don't think anyone else in the bar had near the intelligence of my group, so that fact that we lost was just another small blow to my ego.

I came home and slept on the couch. I wasn't ready for the twin-sized bed. That would have just been too much for one day.

No comments: