Saturday, December 20, 2008

The amount of boxes grew three sizes that day

New adventures are never dull.

I've never made a move with furniture, probably because I didn't own any until I moved to Memphis. So this move home requires a moving truck, and Budget offered me a pretty good deal. Dad and I went to pick up the moving truck earlier today. To our amazement, the office for Budget was located inside a SuperLo grocery store, which is just sketchy. It would have been nice to know that rather than wandering aimlessly around a parking lot trying to find the building.

The shoe-box sized Budget office was staffed by two women. The first was a 30-something typical American (whatever that means). The second was a 60-something crazy person. For starters, she had a wacked out accent I couldn't place which frustates me. It was some combination of southern and something, and it was pretty odd. She was also wearing a turtleneck under a green Christmas sweater over a pair of leggings. She had 80s-style frizzy big hair. She had no make up on her forehead, which was the color of my skin in December, but from her eyes down, she had on plenty of make up, so much that the color of this skin was like mine in August. Basically, she had two different faces. Creepy!

After all the hullabaloo over liability, insurance, paperwork, vehicle damage, etc., crazy face woman told us that Homeland Security requires anyone driving a van to stop at the first weigh station in every state. I've never stopped at a weigh station. This will be interesting. I guess we can't horde any illegal items across the state border. Crap. Now what am I going to do with all of my...???

After a few hours of finishing up at work, I came home to finish packing with my dad. I really do have a shit-ton of stuff, as I alluded to a few days ago. I guess I am more materialistic than I realized. Pretty crazy. I am 99% packed. My dad, who's amazing, took apart my furniture and helped me finish packing my valuables. I did the last load of laundry I will do for a while. The amount of boxes tripled today and my legs are already burning thinking about the numerous trips to the truck I'll have to make with my various possessions. Tomorrow is moving day. Very exciting stuff.

No comments: