Monday, December 29, 2008

Family Ties

Dad: "Your mother and I are leaving now. Your grandmother will probably call at some point for a ride home from Aunt Flo's, in case you're home."
Carol: "OK."

Gram did in fact call for a ride. Thankfully, I anticipated this family request due to my dad's anticipation so I was ready in case the call came in.

When Gram did call, I eagerly told her I could pick up her and my aunt and bring them home. No problemo, really. Only, I couldn't find the keys to mom's car. I couldn't find the keys because my parents so kindly took my mom's car with them. Sadly, my car is too high for my gram and aunt to climb into - little Italian women have little legs. I needed a Plan B.

I drove out to Aunt Flo's, parked my car, got the keys to Aunt Flo's car, drove my gram and aunt home in Aunt Flo's car, drove back to Aunt Flo's, dropped off her car and keys, got back in my car, and drove myself home.

No, seriously. This is what I did. This is what people do apparently when their father anticipates a grandmother calling for a ride home and then taking the only car able to sucessfully complete this family transaction. That's some high quality family improv if you ask me.

No comments: