Tuesday, August 29, 2006

If I had a million dollars...

Recently, I re-discovered my love of the Bare Naked Ladies as I stumbled across their song "If I had a million dollars". In relationship to the lyrics of this song, as well as recent happenings in the lives of myself and some friends, I started thinking about what exactly I would do if I had a million dollars. Better yet, if I had more.

In reality, I know I would try to support my family with things they've never had, particularly my parents who have sacrificed so much to give me what I have - I'm thinking a new house wherever they want, fully equipped with all of life's needs, perhaps a new car and some sort of dream vacation. I'd pay off my brother's loans, help him get his own place, and treat him to something spectacular. I'd give some money to charity and then come up with a game plan of how to spend the rest of my life, including a trip around the world to the numerous places I want to visit.

In my dream fantasy of having a ton of money, I really would want to buy my own island. I know that probably runs more than a million buckaroos, but if I had whatever it takes, I'd do it. My island would be a happy place, where Captain and Cokes and Italian cuisine reigns supreme. I wouldn't have servants or anything crazy; instead, I would invite any friends and family who so desired to live with me. As a collective, we would find a way to make good lives for ourselves in terms of supporting each other - we'd find a way to harvest foods, make delicious meals, and function as a functional society would (without all the b.s. of course).

The main point here is that I wouldn't work.

Don't get me wrong. I like my job. I love the students I work with at present and I currently can't think of anything else I'd rather do as a professional.

But the fact of the matter is that if I didn't have to work to support myself and function as a contributing member of society (i.e., a tax payer), I wouldn't. The general concept of work kinda sucks. Let's be honest. If you disagree, you're probably disillusioned to the ridiculousness of your work tasks on a daily basis.

So there you have it. If I had a ton of money lying around, my island would be up and fully functional.

The question is, will you be lucky enough to live with me?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

can i live on your island? i've been learning how to cook and i can grow tomatoes and basil. staples for italian cooking. i can also craft things out of basic materials...like duct tape. perhaps we could make duct tape huts by the beach? i think i'm a good candidate to live on your island.

Anonymous said...

I don't really like work - although I am a good worker, I always wonder if I would do something else better or like it more. . . I could be an excellent addition to your collective. I come complete with my own copy of the Communist Manifesto :)