Sunday, August 13, 2006

Extra! Extra!

Anyone who knows me is well aware that I aspire to live a full life, composed of many great opportunities to enrich my life as well as to enrich the lives of others. I have many aspirations of places to go, people to see and things to do.

One of these aspirations is the respectable role of being an extra in a movie or tv show. I have no desire to ever be an actress; I just want my 2 seconds on film to do something random in the background of some show or film, so some savvy spectator can see me and say, "Look at that crazy extra!"

My lifelong dream of being an extra is right at my fingertips. Not only is a movie being filmed in Memphis, but two of the disclosed locations are literally just steps away from my humble abode.

The movie is called "My Blueberry Nights". We learned of this last night when we were waiting to catch the trolley to take us to Beale St. The Arcade Restaurant, which is right down the street, has been set up for a few days for shootings. We asked a few nice police officers what the situation was and the joker officer tried to tell us the movie was for the Food Network. My love and knowledge of the Food Network led me to believe he was lying. He wouldn't let us go onto the set, even when I told him my desire to be an extra. I don't think he was impressed.

Anyway, he did know the name of the movie but didn't know a whole lot about it. So like any inquisitive mind, I got up this morning and did some googling to figure out what the situation is.
You can read about the movie here, thanks to the Commercial Appeal.

The movie is about a woman who travels the country in search of the connection between food and love - starring Norah Jones, Rachel Weisz and David Strathairn. Um, anyone who knows me knows this is definitely the movie I need to be an extra in - a movie about the quest of love and food! I love the quest of love. I love food. Clearly, I can go sit in this restaurant and eat some pie in the background - hell, I'll pay to do that for sure!

Too bad Jude Law's character doesn't make an appearance here in Memphis. That would be hott.

So, anyway, this may be my chance - time to adjust this week's to do list.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg! you need to be in this movie! some of my residents from the art institute are extras in the upcoming movie "stranger than fiction" -- the one filmed on the rooftop of my building. they had to try out -- but they're going to be in the movie! keep on googling!

Anonymous said...

I hope the filmmakers read this blog. I am only going to see this movie if you are in it. If not, Mr. Hollywood -- you just lost my vote!
(bad American President reference)