Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Always Low Prices...

Always low prices at Wal-Mart, the devil incarnated.

I despise Wal-Mart. I have felt this way for just around a year. I became fed up with the ridiculousness of this organization's terror on the entire world. In general, Wal-Mart pains me deeply for the following main reasons:

1. Wal-Mart sells cheap products. They are cheap because they are shitty. If you don't believe me, think about the last time you bought something you believed to be of quality at Wal-Mart at its low price. Chances are good within a few short weeks, the product failed. Chances are also good you went back to Wal-Mart and spent more of your good money on another shit product. This is how they suck you in. They make you believe it's worth the purchase b/c it's cheap. But in essence, they're selling you shit.

For sanity's sake, break the cycle. Get out while you can.

2. Wal-Mart has run mom and pop stores out of business. If you live in the ever wonderful small town America, chances are good you know of a family or two or twenty who had to close their businesses because people choose to shop at Wal-Mart for its cheap shitty products (see point one). Wal-Mart contributes significantly to the loss of identity of the American way of life - the ability of various people to earn a living doing what they love in a family business.

For sanity's sake, support mom and pop stores. Contribute to all that is good in earning the family dollar.

3. Wal-Mart treats its employees like dirt. This isn't the case for the higher ups and those up on the food chain, but it is the case for those people trying to make it in this world. Wal-Mart's higher ups get off on keeping their employees of working class in the working class. They fail to pay people a living wage. They fail to pay people for overtime. They force people into working long, shitty hours for nothing. The Wal-Mart organizational chain of command finds nothing unethical or erroneous in this. If you have any sense of decency, you'll research to learn that these are the facts. I'm not just making faulty claims; the proof is out there.

For sanity's sake, support organizations that treat people like people, not like cogs in a system.


I am pleased to annouce I am celebrating my one year anniversary of not stepping foot in any Wal-Mart store since last August. At wit's end, I try my hardest to support organizations who sell good products, treat their employees fairly, and stand for everything good about the working world. I urge you, fellow friends, that if you have alternatives, avoid the devil that is Wal-Mart. It seems appropriate in today's society.

I also urge you, that if you choose to continue to support Wal-Mart, you don't play your childish games of calling me on the the tele to say, "Carol, I'm going to Wal-Mart - do you want to come?" or "Carol, I can't wait to spend all of my money at Wal-Mart!" I do not find this funny or entertaining in any way. This is America, and you can do as you wish. I won't judge you for supporting Wal-Mart, but I urge you to consider what it is you contribute to when you purchase things there. If you need more information, I know of good sources - please inquire.

If you'd like to join me on my Wal-Mart sabbatical, I always love a group effort and I welcome your company.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel bad because as you know, i do not shop at wal-mart either. i think its because the waltons are now the richest people in the world and mr o'brien told us it was ths sultan of brunei, and dammit, i want him to be right. anyway i had to buy school supplies and didnt really want to drive to bloom to go to staples. dad told me just go to walmart. sometimes u cant win.

Anonymous said...

For anyone who cares check out http://walmartwatch.com/. . . and the last time I checked, Walmart was not on Fortune's list of top 100 companies to work for, yet it employs more people than the federal government. (p.s. Starbucks is in the top 30.)

Anonymous said...

i feel you on the childish phone calls/comments. i get that from friends about my refusal to support (a) Starbucks (yes, i know that they're a good company -- but i'm still not going to support them) and (b) all things altria group (philip morris & kraft products). it's annoying.

i also don't love the walmart, but it's the only place that sells all of the color duct tapes that i need. everything else, i go to target. ohhh target. a new target just opened close to my town. now i have two targets and one walmart in the greater attleboro area. i like those odds.

you should move to chicago. no walmarts in the city limits.

MJ said...

Hey Carol, it's your CSP friend Matt Johnson. I stumbled across your blog and thought it was humorous. I, too, hate Wal-Mart and have a post dedicated to it, with an awesome picture on it. I think you'd appreciate it.

Hope all is well in Memphis.