Thursday, August 24, 2006

What planet are you on?

It's a sad day for Pluto. He's lost his mighty rank among the planets.

Apparently, the great scientists of the world feel it necessary to de-rank what we have come to know and love as planet number nine. Pluto is now considered a dwarf planet. I don't know what that means as I am not a scientist and never want to be. But my logic tells me if something's name includes the word "planet", it's still somewhat considered a planet. So I'm a little confused, but I digress.

In any case, I feel this is a sad day. I remember fondly back to 4th grade or so when we studied the planets. I remember because we learned the order of the planets by memorizing a crazy sentence where the first letter of each word coincided with the first letter of the planet's names.

My Very Eager Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas.
Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Nepture, Pluto.

Excellent use of words this is. But now what? Now what will the setence read?

My very eager mother just served us:

nothing?

nectarines?

noodles?

I mean, it just doesn't seem right. What will 4th grade teachers do?

Better yet, what will we all do? 8 planets? It's just weird.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

late comment, but my priest had similar comments during his homily a few weeks back. . . "how will we teach our children?" he asked!