Sunday, June 07, 2009

Road Trip Day 6: Kennebunkport & Portsmouth, ME

On Thursday, we awoke to a beautiful day in the 70s, sun shining - what some might consider "a great day." We spent the morning exploring Kennebunkport. I love saying Kennebunkport. It's such a fun name for a place. Kennebunkport. Say it aloud. See, isn't it fun?

You may have heard of Kennebunkport for the fact that the Bush family vacation there. We didn't see George or Laura or Barbara or Jeb. We didn't really look, to be honest, but did occassionally yell for George, which was humorous for us.

Kennebunkport is quaint. We spent some time wandering its eclectic, independently owned shops. I was on a mission for a t-shirt that said Kennebunkport. I am pleased to report that I did in fact find a pretty cute t-shirt. I can't wait to show it off so people can ask me about Kennebunkport.

After perusing the stores, we set up shop on the beach for a bit. It was a bit chilly with the ocean breeze but still nice to relax on a beach, enjoy the sounds of the waves, and smell the wonderful salt water smell. I could do this daily. I may just have to pick up and move to the coast. What a life I could lead.

Post-relaxation, we headed further south down the coast and made a stop in Portsmouth. This small coastal city has a great downtown, again laced with independently owned stores and hip restaurants. We settled into a restaurant called Popovers and enjoyed a soup and sandwich lunch combo. From there, we wandered around some stores and checked out some of the area along the waterfront.

In the earlier part of the evening, we headed to Salem, NH, to see if we could happen upon America's Stonehenge. Sadly, it was closed. Nothing random to report here. I assume this whole experience would have been random anyway, but you never know I guess. No one I know has ever been there so maybe someone will soon take the plunge and tell us about it.

From here, we drove to my friend Kait's for the night, a little north of Boston. She showed us Newburyport, MA, and we walked along the beach for a bit before settling in for the night.

No comments: