Sunday, June 07, 2009

Road Trip Day 5: Wells, ME

From Portland, we hopped on Route 1 and headed south down the coast. We found a hotel in Kennebunk, ME, for its acccess to Wells and Kennebunkport. For dinner, we headed into Wells in order to dine at Varano's Italian Restaurant. Cool, right? I had known about this restaurant for a few years because my friend Anne's grandmother lives in Wells and Anne's mother once sent me a photograph of the restaurant. Obviously, this just had to be a stop on our voyage.

Varano's was an amazing dining experience. We had a fantastic server, Shane, who met all expectations for "great customer service." Shane and I also had a nice chat about my family name being Varano; sadly, the owner was not in the restaurant so we couldn't swap accounts of family lineage or else I would have tried to decipher if this Varano family was traced to Calabria, Italy, also.

Jen and I both had some wine and we opted for salads with a home-made blue cheese dressing. Absolutely delish and possibly the best blue cheese dressing we've ever had. The bread to accompany our dinner was fresh-baked and delicious as well. For our entrees, Jen opted for Veal Bracciolettine while I opted for Veal Marsala. Since we sample each other's foods, I can confidently say that both dishes were absolutely delectable - the sauce and mushrooms were great accompaniments to the dish. We also enjoyed the side of penne in house marinara. After such a wonderful meal, we were easily convinced to also have dessert. We shared a helping of tiramisu and almond creme cake. Scrumptious.

Quite possibly one of the ten best meals I've ever had. Hands-down worth every penny (and there were many a penny for this meal).

After dinner we did what any two people could do in a tiny coastal town with not much going on - we played a speedy round of mini golf. I won. Winner winner chicken dinner.

No comments: