Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Road Trip, Day 4: Portland, ME, Part 1

After checking into a crappy hotel in Portland, we decided to head to the Old Port District for dinner. We decided on DiMillio's Floating Restaurant on Long Wharf. We settled in for dinner on the lower deck so we could enjoy the great weather. We started off with a crab dip and later, Jen decided on a surf and turf while I opted for the twin-lobster special. This would be my first experience eating an entire lobster. Normally I've only eaten lobster tails so I needed a crash course on the whole lobster experience. The terrible server wasn't much help but she gave me a bib and a cheesy how-to guide. It couldn't be that hard, right?

In reality, eating the full lobster wasn't that hard just extremely messy. I was able to successfully crack the claws and clear out the tail in one giant piece. I was entirely grossed out by the cavity/body of the lobster and the green scum of the liver found inside. Needless to say, I decided to avoid this area at all costs.

While I'm glad I'm able to say I had the whole-lobster experience, I'm pretty confident I don't need a follow-up in my future. I think I'll stick to tails from here on out.

After dinner, we hung out in Old Port, which is a funky area of eclectic shops and restaurants. We spent some time wandering the streets looking in the windows of the shops and enjoying the auroa of the independently-owned stores. Unfortunately, the shops weren't open late so we couldn't actually do much exploration, but we did enjoy wandering aimlessly. We also had some ice cream, so that was a nice bonus.

No comments: