Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Hobbies & Health

I read an article in the local paper last week about people who are unemployed because they recently lost their jobs. The article mainly discussed how while these individuals are feeling some pressure about not having employment, they have focused their energy into other areas of their lives, like spending more time with family, getting in shape, or taking up new hobbies and interests.

While my situation is somewhat different as I chose to leave my full-time job and am currently choosing to only work part-time, my current situation has given me the opportunity to refocus some of my energy. It has been wonderful to be home for two months. I wasn't quite sure originally that I would feel this way, but I do. I have come to truly appreciate the time I am able to spend with my family. It's nice to be able to get together for things like scrapbooking or game day or a random meal on a weeknight; these small things I think I took somewhat for granted over the past few years and I am trying to not lose sight of that again.

It has also been nice to reconnect with some old friends in the area. I have come to really enjoy trivia nights on Mondays and gathering at the local restaurants over the weekend. It's nice to see familiar faces and relive some old memories and share some laughs in this way.

While I haven't technically taken up any new hobbies, I do focus some energy into my new weekly gatherings for trivia, scrapbooking, and gameday. I don't think the time I've invested into watching Lost can be considered a hobby; rather, sadly, I think it's just an obsession that seeps into my life every week. The only piece missing for me right now is trying to focus more on my health. I don't think I'm necessarily unhealthy, but I am definitely not in the shape I'd like to be in physically and I'm going to challenge myself to do that. I guess it's time to finally join the gym!

No comments: