Sunday, February 15, 2009

Health Class

On Friday, I had the privilege of substitute teaching for a health class. It was really a delightful experience. Every student who walked into the classroom made a point to say to me, "We don't ever do anything in this class" so I would know not to actually challenge their young impressionable minds. Thankfully, the teacher left some videos on his desk, so I made the students watch the videos.

During the first 11th grade class, I showed a video on addiction; it was somewhat a case study about an adolescent girl's battle with drug addiction. It seemed quite real, particularly her emotions, as she repeatedly used the f-word when lashing out to her mother.

Whoops! I had to pretend I didn't hear the use of the f-word; I mean, I would assume it's inappropriate to use this in a high school class so I pretended it didn't happen.

As the day progressed, the students made a point to tell me they have seen all of the other videos I wanted to show; whether they were lying or not, I didn't actually care. I spent half of the day with these students doing nothing. It seemed like a total waste, but I sure as hell wasn't going to attempt to teach them anything related to health.

Some friends said to me at the end of the day, "Easiest 80 bucks you've ever made, huh?"

Yeah, something like that. Or the biggest waste of my time. Or the longest 7 hours of my life. Days really drag when there's nothing to do. I still am not quite sure why they even brought me in to sub. It seems to me these students would have been better served sitting in study hall during the day, doing nothing. Glorified baby-sitting at its finest. Like I said, delightful.

No comments: