Thursday, January 15, 2009

Twin-Sized Bed

"You look so defeated lying there in your new twin size bed. With a single pillow underneath your single head. I guess you decided that that old queen holds more space than you would need. Now it's in the alley behind your apartment with a sign that says it's free."
-Death Cab for Cutie

I may have previously noted that moving home meant I had to give up my queen-sized bed and instead sleep on a twin. The fact is, my amazing queen is in a garage, a miserably cold garage sitting useless. It didn't fit. The box spring was too bulky to make the turn on the stairs. I'm still not over it. It takes me a long time to deal with some things.

I tried to ignore my feelings about sleeping on a twin for the past few weeks. I really did. But it's not just the constant fetal position that is bothersome. It's also the feeling that I'm still in college. In college, I slept in dorms on a twin, and I came home and slept in my old bedroom on a twin, the same twin I am using now. It didn't bother me then. I didn't know any better. But for the past five plus years, I've been fortunate to have a gigantic comfortable queen. Now, sleeping on this twin brings a feeling of having taken a step backwards. Or something. I don't know. I know it's not really a big deal. I mean, I have a bed. Shouldn't that be enough?

There are really only two options for comfortable use of a twin. The first is the fetal position, already mentioned. The second is the straight-as-a-board, down-the-middle position. Anything other than this and you're overboard, feet off the edge, arms touching the ground. And not to mention the pillows. I mean, two pillows don't last on a twin. One always ends up on the floor. It's like, why even bother?

This week, I watched 24 episodes of Lost, the first season. I viewed on my laptop while sitting on my bed. You do the math. I basically spent an entire day stuck on my twin being sucked into this television show. I couldn't sprawl out. I couldn't move around. I just sat there, mesmerized and uncomfortable.

But this is the price I must pay. I guess it's a better price than paying for rent or paying for cable.

No comments: