Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Honey, Do Your Chores!

This is a picture of a note I woke up to one day last week. My mom taped it to the computer because she knows I can't go a whole day without checking my email and surfing the internet. She really needed me to see it. Molto importante! It read:


"Carol, Sweeper needs to be run in your room, then brought downstairs and run in both rooms. Thanks, Mom."

If I had the nerve, I would have left Mom a note in response. It would have read:

"Mom, Sorry I missed the memo to run the vacuum in my bedroom. I mean, I obviously didn't get the hint when you put the vacuum right by my door for two days and then so kindly placed it in my bedroom so that I would trip over it. Clearly, I didn't get the message. Or maybe, I didn't see a need for the vacuum to be run, you know, since this isn't a skill I've developed yet in my life, even when I was living on my own for the past ten years. So glad to be home, Carol."

So that would have been mean, right? I couldn't have possibly left that note for my mom, though I sure did want to. I'm not an idiot. I know when vacuums should be utilized. But this isn't my house or my independent life anymore. I am a mooch, and by default, I must follow certain rules. My mom sure does have a lot of rules, and this was definitely my first lesson in learning how to successfully navigate my new life.

Rule #1. When Mom says to run the vacuum, run the vacuum.
A. In fact, run the vacuum every day, especially in the living room, because one crumb or piece of lint on the floor is unacceptable living.

No comments: