Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Olympic Fever

Even if you're not into winter sports like figure skating, hockey, and skiing, it's not difficult to get excited about the Winter Olympics. Anyone who loves the art, athleticism, and skill of sports and competition can become at minimum partially obsessed with the trials, tribulations, and triumphs of America's Olympians. And set atop a backdrop of the Italian Alps with an Italian flair to the names of event locations... wow, what's not to love?

The stories of hard work, overcoming adversity and perseverance are what makes the Olympics so special. Add in a few stories of drama, risk, and adventure and you have yourself a pretty amazing show.

My love of sports in general allows me to watch Olympic events like curling, speed skating, and luge and be filled with a sense of awe in the athletes' dedication to achieve while representing this great country in positive ways. Perhaps my feelings of awe are drawn from the fact that I have not and probably will not ever attempt half of the sports portrayed -- ice is not my thing, so hockey and skating of all kinds do not appeal to me. The luge and skeleton -- um, can we say insane? I've also never been on skis or a snowboard, but I think I could give these a whirl under the right circumstances. But that's what makes these events so magnificent to watch -- the pure amazement I have for people who are willing to take such risks like riding a sled down an ice chute at 87 miles per hour or flying through the air off a moguls track or ski jump trying to finish with the perfect landing. The intensity of talent necessary for some of these events is purely amazing.

I enjoy the Olympic coverage -- I appreciate the special stories on NBC and the great information on nbcolympics.com -- it makes me feel like I am experiencing as much of these Winter Games as humanly possible from an outside perspective. It also makes me proud to be an American -- that for these few short weeks, I can be part of a country-wide support for the American team -- a team that does not disappoint.

I hope you're tuning into the Olympics and getting engrossed by the magic surrounding these events. It's truly special and should be regarded as such. If you're not tuning in, you should -- give the Games a chance. Get into the stories, the drama, the magic. I promise, America will not disappoint.

1 comment:

Bridget said...

GO USA! The Olympics rule!