Saturday, February 25, 2006

"Come together, right now, over me" (The Beatles)

Maybe I jumped the gun in my previous post when I said, "For my dear friends out there, like Janet, still trying to make it like myself – chin up, friends, it will all come together soon."

If you knew me last year at this time, you were aware that I had a motto for getting me through each day as I finished grad school and awaited making progress on the next step in my life. The motto was "embrace the question mark - it is your friend." I felt that I grew comfortable embracing the uncertainty for those six or so months while trying to figure out where I would go and what I would do after grad school - I was comfortable living each day without knowing quite yet where I'd end up because deep down I knew that the next step of my life "would come together soon." Eventually I knew I'd have an interview that would result in a job offer and later result in a job commitment. The question mark would soon be erased and I would move on knowing things had fallen into place.

I cannot help but wonder, particularly with the week I’ve had, if things ever really "come together". It seems like we push and try so hard to reach those moments where things fall into place and where we can finally relax in knowing there is some consistency to our daily existence. I fully support "embracing the question marks" we face in our lives, but usually because I can accept the fact that things eventually do fall into place.

Yet, now, I wonder, if things really do “come together”. The only thing we know for certain about life is that it constantly changes -- situations change, moments, change, we change. So if we're in this constant state of flux, maneuvering through a life of change, how do things come together? Or maybe it's that things "come together" but only for a brief moment in time. As soon as we feel that things have fallen into place, the next thing we know is that it’s a few months later and everything is changing again. We’re left wondering again when it will all “come together” and when it will again fall into place. The cycle goes on and on and on and on – the cycle is life.

Can we ever be truly comfortable? Or do we constantly have to try to prepare, adapt, and adjust to all the upcoming moments where life will need to fall into place? How do we find the balance of feeling as if things are in place yet knowing they are going to change sooner or later? Or is this just something that seems more prevalent in our mid-twenties, where we’re dealing with so much change after graduating school, navigating our first jobs, and those first real stages in our lives when we’re out on our own? Do these feelings go away after you’ve been somewhere for three or four years and you’re indeed comfortable with your daily existence? Or is it just life’s most prevalent cycle that we must face head on each time it repeats itself?

I don’t really have a point here, just many questions and many feelings of being in a constant state of needing to “embrace the question marks” while waiting for things to “come together”.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

friend, how are you doing? You have been my "embassador of the question mark". . .much like Jerry Maguire was Cuba Gooding Jr.s Embassador of Quan. . .

Anonymous said...

OK, i did i mean AMBASSADOR. . . ?