Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Memphis Trip, Recap 4

After the meet, Bridget, Sebastian and I ventured downtown to Gus's Fried Chicken, where the daily special is always chicken. Hands down, this is the most amazing fried chicken one could ever eat. I am usually appalled by people who live in Memphis or who have lived there for over a year's time who have not visited this amazing establishment. For starters, it's a hole in the wall, old fashioned, one-room restaurant. It's not fancy by any means. The cups, silverware and plates are plastic. But I swear to you, it's the most amazing chicken.

As we were waiting in line, the waitress asked two adolescents to kindly stop propping open the door because it was allowing cold air to enter the restaurant. We were standing by the jukebox next to the door. After the waitress made her request, these two moved out of the way and allowed the door to shut. A new patron, a twenty-something female stepped in and propped the door open; she wasn't able to hear the waitress's request. You would think in this social scenario, that these two youngsters would kindly say something like, "Excuse me, Miss, but the waitress just requested for the door to remain shut." I mean, to me, this seems like the logical step in this situation, right? Apparently not, as the two blockheads said nothing, but instead just stood there. I stepped in and relayed this message to the woman, because clearly I felt this was the appropriate thing to do. Has civilization really lost its ability to function? What the hell is wrong with people?

Anyway, a few minutes later we were seated. I ordered an appetizer of fried pickles, which are a southern delicacy of sorts. Gus's fried pickles are my favorite - the breading is most delicious, however, you have to be careful as to not burn the roof of your mouth when you bite into one of these things as the result could be painful.

I ordered my usual feast - 2 pieces of white meat with a side of fries and a side of beans. The chicken comes on a piece of white bread, which I am convinced exists solely to mop up the grease from the chicken. (Friend Coleman eats this bread, it's his favorite part of the meal. He's clearly insane but most of us already knew this.) Anyway, the chicken did not disappoint. Just the right amount of flavor in the breading paired with the juiciest chicken which created a mouth-watering delight with every bite. Oh my goodness.

In all seriousness, I dream about this chicken. It's soooo good. I used to eat it at least once a month. I'm not sure how I can go another four months without it. No chicken will ever taste better to me. If you're in Memphis and you're reading this, please go to Gus's tomorrow and eat the chicken. It will be worth it. I promise. And send me a picture. Please.

No comments: