Thursday, April 23, 2009

Memphis Trip, Recap 2

Amazingly, I woke up pretty energized Friday morning. I anticipated it would be a fantastic day, and I was certainly correct. Around noon, I headed off to my old office building to meet up with some folks for lunch. These are some great ladies, let me say. For starters, they appreciate me for the total goofball that I am so that always helps. We had a pretty calm, casual lunch at one of my favorite places near campus. Always a pleasure.

Around 2pm, Bridget and I headed off to Bosco's, a bar in midtown that brews its own beer. Bosco's is great when the weather is nice because they have a fabulous outdoor patio. Since the weather was beautiful - sunny skies, crisp air, about 75 degrees - we had a lovely early happy hour. We drank there until 7pm, enjoying the weather and dishing on the latest gossip. I admit it, I'm not ashamed. We gossiped and swapped stories and shared some laughter for a great part of the afternoon. A little later our friends Kristen and Tia joined us before we headed off to Corky's for dinner.

Corky's is a Memphis staple food, known most for its bar-b-que. I am a big fan of their pulled pork so that's what I had. In all honesty, Memphis does have the best bar-b-que I've ever had, and I enjoy this pork no matter what. Not to mention, it's actually cheap as hell for the helping you get. When you can add some hush puppies on the side, what can be better than that?

After dinner, we headed to Celtic Crossing for the remainder of the evening. As I noted, I love this bar. There's always an eclectic crowd of people and usually good music. I will note, though, that the service is sometimes really bad. It's good that we all have working limbs because it was definitely easier to get our own drinks at the bar.

A few friends and the golfers joined us for what turned into one heck of an evening. Again, we shared a great deal of laughs, dishing on people, remembering some old memories of ridiculousness and, of course, making new memories.

Sometime after 1am, the DJ started playing music like Regulate by Warren G and No Diggity/No Doubt by I don't even remember who and other early 90s hip hop/rap music. I think Phil was impressed by my knowledge of these songs, as I was singing each lyric in some giddy drunken state. Appropriately, I made Phil request Baby Got Back and the DJ so inclined to humor us with this madness.

It is a rare occassion when Celtic Crossing becomes a dance party, but this so happened to be one of those evenings. For starters, Rachel was hammered and loving every minute of her dancing. Bridget loves when these things happen so obviously she had a good time. Phil is a pretty impressive dancer, by the way, and certainly entertained me with his skills. I think at this point Mark was off somewhere hitting on someone - it wouldn't be a complete evening if he wasn't. I'm not sure what Sebastian was thinking at this point, but we had one heck of a time. Mark was located for the 80s music by Journey and such, and we definitely had a good time belting out some tunes.

Bridget and I calculated that we put in a pretty solid 12-hour work day of drinking. At 3:30am, it dawned on me that the last time I was out this late was also with Mark and Phil. It's probably a good thing I don't see them every weekend because I'm not sure my liver can handle it. I miss days like this. Pure absolute enjoyment. I couldn't have asked for a better day. I think my abs still hurt from laughing so hard.

No comments: