Thursday, December 07, 2006

Bah! Humbug!

Typically, my friends and family refer to me as "Scrooge" during the Christmas season. I don't really like Christmas. I become easily bogged down in the madness that people make Christmas out to be, and thus, it leaves me wanting for less chaos and more serenity, much the reason why I looooove Thanksgiving - it's simple, there's no hullabaloo.

It's not that I don't like what Christmas stands for. The fact of the matter is, I like what it stands for - which is, in reality, the birth of Christ as his role in our great world. Jesus is the reason for the season, as they say.

It significantly bothers me, however, that the reason for Christmas gets lost in the ridiculous, overAmericanization/overcommercialization of the holiday. It also significantly bothers me that people stress and stress and stress some more about cookies, gifts, parties, etc.

I just don't understand why we have to make things soooo complicated. The holiday should be celebrated for the right reasons with the right perspectives.

And thus, I am trying really hard to not be "Scrooge" this year for Christmas. In fact, I spent a significant time yesterday working on my Christmas Cards. I sat at a local eatery for 2 hours writing, licking, stickering, and postaging my cards. The waiter even noticed when he said,

"Wow. You're really putting some effort into those."

To which I responded, "And I don't even really like Christmas."

It is worth the effort I guess.

The fact of the matter is this Christmas is going to be particularly hard on my family, as we attempt to celebrate without my grandfather for the first time. Maybe this is why I am trying extra hard not be "the mean one, Mr. Grinch" this year.

Who knows, really. Hopefully, though, I'll find some good memories to savor.

No comments: