Friday, September 15, 2006

It's Been A While.

It's been quite a while since my last post, which is unforunate because a lot of interesting things have gone on in my life over the last few weeks. There's no theme to this post - just an assortment of observations regarding my life during this lovely month of September.

Let's see. For starters, the weather has been excellent as of late. It rarely rains here in the Memphis, but the hot box that is the south has decided to give our sweat glands a break. It's been quite nice to not break out into an intense sweat every time I walk outside. In fact, most mornings and evenings have been cool - those types of cool where you can rock jeans and a t-shirt and be comfortable sitting on your porch, drinking a captain and coke.

I can't say I've actually done that, but that's what I would have done had I not spent so much time at work the past few weeks.

Work has been pretty insane. I've been working a ton of long ass days, trying to help my students be better people. It's quite an intense job at times, I must say. At times over the past two weeks especially I've been pretty convinced I lead the weirdest professional life ever. I mean, I do some strange things in my job, like create a litany of methods for my students to be better students. It appears the big challenge in my job is figuring out how to uses as many spreadsheets and forms as possible to organize each student's academic life. It seems like most of this stuff they should figure out on their own, like the rest of us had to, but then again, I am an "easy button" according to my friends and I make their lives not only better, but easier, and who doesn't want that? Anyway, I digress.

I've been kinda bummed out about working so much. I have to work late two nights a week, Thursdays included, which means I will miss weekly episodes of Survivor. This depresses me, as it is my favorite show and I usually enjoy becoming obsessed with it.

Speaking of Survivor, on Wednesday, I went to a local watering hole, Alfred's on Beale St, and was interviewed for a casting call for reality tv. I told this very nice woman all about myself in 10 minutes. We had an excellent conversation about my job, my life, my love of Survivor, and, of course, why I'd be excellent for the show. We also talked about my episode of sleeping in a crime scene - infusing this into the discussion was clutch. I am currently working on my application for the casting agency and I hope to make a video to submit as well. This all fits into my recent desire to live life to the fullest, take some positive risks, and try things once, particularly to maximize my experiences here in Memphis but really, to maximize my life in general.

Speaking of firsts, there have been two other firsts in my life recetly. One of these first was that last week I took a sick day from work. I can't recall taking a sick day since summer 2001 at Cesari's Pizza when I literally couldn't get out of bed. It cost me my summer bonus, I recall, but sick days aren't typically things I participate in. I was battling a pretty nasty head cold, so I decided it best to spend the day on the couch, watching the Food Network and 6 episodes of SportsCenter.

The other first is my participation in Fantasy Football. A friend of mine put together a league online and I must say, I dominate. I crushed my opponent in week one and I led the league in total points, breaking 100 for the week. This week, I picked up T.O. in a trade - I despise him, but he fits nicely into my plan of eternal domination of the league. I can't take all the credit, as brother Joe has been quite the help.

Despite being sick for a week and battling madness at work, I've had some good time to read some interesting new books, watch college football, and support my students - things that are important to me in my daily existence. I've been attending a bunch of soccer games and I must say, I am really starting to enjoy soccer. It helps that I love working with the team and now I'm learning about this excellent sport. I keep wondering why I didn't do this sooner.

Today was an especially good day. I had a productive Friday at work. After work, I ate at Corky's with some friends - always a worthwhile dining experience. I als0 bought three new pairs of Reefs on sale - I am extremely pumped about this as I've wanted some new flip flops for quite some time. And tomorrow has a whole day in store for great weather, the pool and some football... what more could I want?

Sports, food, sleep - seems like the perfect weekend is in store.

I guess I must say, overal, life is good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

La vie est belle.

Don't work too hard or too long, because one day you will say "I wish I had spent more time sitting on the porch with the Captain and friends."

love you!