Sunday, May 07, 2006

Music Fest: Recap 1 -- The Music

The Beale St. Music Festival hosted a variety of artists over a three day span. I had been in anticipation of this event for quite some time because of my love of music. This post will highlight my recap of the artists I viewed.

Friday, May 5

Started the night off with Jason Mraz, of whom I would consider myself a fan. However, this appearance left much to be desired, and Jason Mraz gets the award for second most disappointing performance. Maybe I set my standards too high. At an event where I have to stand around to listen to the music, I want some music infused with high energy. Jason Mraz basically did the opposite -- played slow, lame, and depressing songs and I found myself bored. Not cool, Jason, not cool.

Now, old timer Bryan Adams was a totally different story. Despite being surrounded by the old folk crowd, Bryan Adams had a pretty solid performance. I mean, any time you can hear him sing "Summer of '69" is going to be well worth the experience. This 80s star still has it, even when he slows it down with "Everything I do, I do it for you" (thanks for taking me back to fifth grade dances with that one -- I love a good walk down memory lane).

After hearing all I wanted to hear from Bryan Adams, I deemed it worthy to walk on down to hear some Puddle of Mudd. Talk about a culture change. Do I ever fit in at a concert? I wondered. Certainly not with this crowd. But it was interesting to hear them. People really seem to like this music, maybe because it's edgy. But honestly, the lead singer should be called the lead yeller. I mean, don't get me wrong, he has a voice, but most of his "singing" was really "screaming" into the microphone, particularly in the encore performance of "She F*cking Hates Me". I did enjoy the live version of "Blurry", however, so it wasn't all that overwhelming.

Finished the night with Train. I like Train, I have for quite some time. Unlike Jason Mraz, Train started with two of its more popular songs, like "Meet Virginia". Now, I haven't kept up with them lately, so again this performance was slightly disappointing because their new material, which was played for about forty minutes, was slower. Also, the lead singer talked way too much between songs. This isn't VH1 Storytellers, Pat Monahan, sing the damn songs I want to hear. Then again, I was tired of standing at this point, and the decision was made to leave before hearing "Drops of Jupiter". Maybe next time.

All in all, day one was a decent showing, not to mention a beautiful evening to be outside and listen to these performances.

Saturday, May 6

Despite Mother Nature's teasing of rain storms, the decision was made to tough it out. This decision was indeed a good one. Day two was unbelievably entertaining.

Kicked the night off with "the living legend", "the killer", "the hall of famer" Jerry Lee Lewis. Did I mention he's a "legend"? Jerry Lee Lewis was great. For being in his 70s, he can still sing like the rockstar he was in the 60s. Did I mention he's a "legend"? It was great to hear "Great Balls of Fire" and other Jerry Lee classics live. What an honor to see "the legend" in person. As I said, he can sing like no other. He doesn't really speak well, however, and I often couldn't understand what he was saying between songs. I was most impressed, however, that he somehow found a way to sing his own name in just about every song he played. Did I mention he's a "legend"? If you didn't know he was a "legend" before this event, the announcer would have made sure you knew, as he said so about 1000 times. Thanks, pal, we get it. Thanks, Jerry Lee, you rock.

Bruce Hornsby, you didn't rock. Bruce Hornsby's first 15 minutes of the performance were so boring, I wanted to stab myself in the eye. I couldn't even muster the energy to stick around to hear "The Way It Is". I'd like those 15 minutes of my life back, please.

After a treacherous hike through the mud down to the other end of the venue, I had the extremely unusual experience of watching Little Richard perform. Shut up, I'm not kidding. Little Richard is one messed up maniac. In his flashy attire, he definitely kept you interested in what he was going to say between songs. Some examples:

"I'd like a fat juicy white woman to come on stage. I also want a fat juicy black woman to come on stage. And a Mexican. Get on up here." (Note: Not one woman who went on stage would have been considered 'fat' and/or 'juicy' by my definitions)

"Shut up."

"I'm from Macon, GA."

"You can buy my picture and come to trailer 10 and I'll sign it for you. I want to meet you nice people. I'll write whatever you want on it, as long as it's good."

"Shut up."

"I am a child of the Lord."

"Shut up."

"Don't forget to buy my picture and I'll sign it for you."

"Shut up."

Seriously, Little Richard was outta control.


The night ended in absolutely enjoyable fashion, with Huey Lewis and the News. Spectating from the third row was quite the experience and Huey Lewis and the News were unbelievably enjoyable and entertaining. I thought my friend Bridget was going to die from excitement. They rocked for a solid hour and a half and played just about every hit you can think of. I also appreciated the use of the harmonica, well done Huey. Well worth the wait -- these old dudes can rock with the best of them. I think it's safe to say Huey Lewis and the News get the award for "best performance".

Day two was solid.


Sunday, March 7

I must be nuts to have ventured out for the last night of this event. I'm weak, I won't like, and I was definitely tired and my legs hurt. But this didn't stop me. Off again we went. Day three wasn't awful but it wasn't great either.

First up was Chicago. In the first fifteen minutes of their performance, they managed to sing approximately 7 words. Um, where have all the vocals gone? I mean, come on - sing to me, damnit, that's why I'm here. Chicago's been around for more than thirty years, and one might think that they would continue to rock out to their 'oldies but goodies' but somehow, this seemed only appropriate for the last fifteen minutes of their performance. They were OK, but again, I'd like this hour of my life back. Chicago - most disappointing performance award goes to you.

Next, we listened to some Blues Traveler -- again, I enjoy the harmonica. Blues Traveler is pretty solid in my book -- opened with two good songs, which gave me the momentum I needed to wait around for James Brown to get on stage.

We waited, and waited, and waited. His band got on stage and made a giant production about the appearance of the "godfather of soul" -- it took him about fifteen minutes to get on stage. My patience had run out at this point, so I didn't get to hear much of this legend. He too, however, did sing his own name in one of his songs -- I guess that's what legends do.

We ended the event with "Hook" by Blues Traveler -- extremely solid.

Day three, not so great, but the harmonica pulled me through.

Beale St. Musical Festival, I rate you about a 7 out of 10. Thanks for the memories, which I will comment on later in the week as a I recount the ridiculousness of my fellow humans as observed during these three days of music mayhem. Until then, I will wash the stench from my body, massage the legs, and relieve myself of my second-hand pot addiction.

No comments: