Thursday, May 04, 2006

Let's Make a Deal

My good friends know that I am in the market for a new cell phone and a new cell phone plan. If you don't know, I have had a phone for what seems like eternity -- it is best described as Zack Morris -- so if you recall the telephone used by Zack on the old Saved by the Bell episodes, you'll get the right mental picture. People make fun of me for this phone, but I have embraced it. Anyway, the fact of the matter is, it's time for some changes in my abilities to communicate with the world.

My mom just had surgery and since I am working all day, I decided to put her free time to use. I had her call Nextel, my current service provider, to find out a few things about my desire to switch service providers. The savvy saleswoman that she is, Mom was able to work her magic and get offered an amazing deal through Nextel. Though I'd rather have a different carrier, I am cheap and couldn't say no to this offer. Therefore, I surfed the web for a new phone and then called back to sign on for the deal they offered Mom. "That offer was a mistake. It is not available," the woman said. "To hell it ain't", I thought. This was unacceptable.

So, like any needy child, I called Mom back and she got on the horn. Boy, did she ever. Working her magic like only she could, she convinced Randy that she was getting that offer for me and it was going to work out. Randy couldn't argue, so he called me for a three-way discussion of what I wanted to do. He asked what phone I wanted.

"Randy," I said, "I'd love to be the new owner of an i850 model phone." It's quite the upgrade from the old Zack Morris and I wanted it.

Randy said, "My girlfriend has that phone and it's sharp. I am certain you'll like it."

"Thanks, Randy. That's what I like to hear," I replied.

After a few entries into his thrifty computer and after he listened to my mom and I jabber on about our day's events, Randy said, "OK, all of the information is in the computer. I gotta tell you, though, you should be extremely pleased with this offer. You're getting a $350 phone for $80 and a cell phone plan that even I am not able to have, and I work here!"

"That's what I like to hear, Randy!" I said. "That's how we do it."

Randy thanked us for our time and hung up. I immediately called Mom back and praised her for her amazing negotiation skills. I may have said something along the lines of: "Mom, you're a frickin genius - you rock my world." She is indeed a rock star, I tell you, and soon, I will have the new phone and plan to prove it. Expect a call from me soon.

No comments: