Wednesday, May 17, 2006

I slept in a crime scene.

Wow, friends. I am sorry to have disappointed so many of you with the sappiness of my last post. Sheesh. I mean, seriously, is it wrong to take a break from sarcasm and wit for a day and think about things that really matter? I guess so.

Anyway, if ridiculous is what you want, then ridiculous is what you'll get.

If you're someone who has my IM profile, then you know that "I slept in a crime scene." Some of you have heard my first hand account of this situation, some of you have not. While I cannot go into explicit detail as the police report is still open and this is a public forum, I can tell you that I did, in fact, sleep in a crime scene.

The basics:

I checked the apartment of a friend who is out of town. I frequently do this as a favor to her and her parents, especially when it is on the way of my travels. In times past, there have been no issues.

This time, as I walked into her apartment, I noticed a few things that looked suspicious, and felt that there was a possibility of a burglary or robbery. At first, it appeared that someone had only broken in, entered, perhaps cased the place, and left. I couldn't find any evidence of something missing.

But when I talked to her parents, I discovered that something indeed was stolen, and I, in fact, was standing in the scene of a crime, a robbery to be exact.

Still, though, I wanted to believe that everything was OK and nothing major had actually happened. Again, I can't go into detail, but I can tell you that I cleaned up some of what could be evidence, showered, and slept on the couch for a good eight hours of time.

In summary:

I walked into what I perceived to be a crime scene.
I cleaned up some evidence in what I perceived to be a crime scene.
I showered in what I perceived to be a crime scene.
My fingerprints are all over what I perceived to be a crime scene.
I slept in what I perceived to be a crime scene.

Now, if you know me, you know I have a strong love of crime television like CSI and Law and Order. You also know that I am a fairly clear-headed, intelligent individual. You may also know that I worked in residence life for many years, responding to emergencies and dealing with situations that just "don't seem right." So I know what you are thinking:

"Carol, you're a dumbass. Why did you do that? Why, of all things especially, did you sleep there? Are you nuts?"

Well, I mean, if I wanted to feel bad about myself, I guess I am dumb, nuts, etc. However, I really wanted to believe the damage was done and everything would be OK once the landlord was contacted, checked the place, etc. Seriously, this is what I believed.

In reality, the fact of the matter is, a few hours after I left the apartment, the apartment was again broken into and another attempt at robbery was made. The criminals were unsuccessful, however, but this does, in fact, prove that I slept in a crime scene and may have just altered the plans of some robbers for a few hours.

Ridiculous? Yes.

Am I happy to be alive? Yes.

Do I think it is now funny that I did all of the above? Yes.

Am I convinced this is the story I need to get on Survivor? Yes.

Have I gained a new perspective on life? You bet I did.


But the fact of the matter still remains, I slept in a crime scene.

Now how many people can say that about their weekend?

2 comments:

Rachel L. said...

I can actually......... no wait i just want to be like you. hahaha

Anonymous said...

Carol! This stuff can only happen to you!