Thursday, July 02, 2009

A few words on MJ

Aunt Stella was surprised that I went a whole week without offering my commentary on the death of Michael Jackson. I really don't have anything to say, to be honest. I was never a huge Michael Jackson fan. Don't get me wrong. I can certainly appreciate his place in music history and his influence on the music industry over the years, but I'm just generally not a person who was really into him and his music. Sue me.

Now, I am a big fan of Thriller. I'll give you that. That's classic music and possibly one of the best music videos of all time. I'd say this is the era of Michael Jackson I enjoy the most, and I think many people would agree.

I don't own anything of the Michael Jackson collection. I never bought a cassette single. I never bought a cassette. I never bought a CD or DVD or downloaded any of his songs. He is not currently on my ipod and I'm fairly certain this will never change.

Yes, I know this makes me a rarity in the world. Again, sue me.

I can tell you that my earliest memory of Michael Jackson occurred when I was like five or six years old. (Seriously, I was pretty young.) My family was in Florida for a vacation, specifically in the Orlando area. On our visit to Epcot Center, I vividly remember standing outside the Journey into Imagination theater while my Aunt Donna nearly wet herself in excitement about viewing Captain EO in 3D. It was probably one of the greatest moments in her life - she loved Michael.

I do think it's sad that he died. Moreover, I think it's extremely sad that he fell so far from his place once atop the music world. It's really unfortunate that celebrities have to live such public lives. His legacy is certainly tainted. But again, I can respect his place in the music world.

Rest in peace.

2 comments:

Mrs. McGoo said...

I'm just ready for the news coverage about him to go away. There are world wide events going on ... and yet CNN, FOX NEWS, and every other major news station seems to cover MJ repetitively throughout the day. Enough already, let him RIP.

Carol V said...

Agree 100%!