Saturday, July 04, 2009

Fireworks

I don't like fireworks. I repeat: I don't like fireworks. Call me insane. Call me anti-American. Call me whatever you want. Name your millions of reasons why fireworks are fantastic. You won't change my mind.

As a child growing up, my family went to the neighboring town, Shamokin, for the yearly 4th of July fireworks show. We sat in a cemetery on a hill. Creepy. Regardless, every year we went. And every year my mother, aunt, and grandmother would "oooh" and "awww" obnoxiously for the entire fireworks show. This experience scarred me for life and is the reason to this day that I dislike fireworks.

My brother shares my feelings.

I like everything else about the 4th of July. Food. Baseball. Family. Relaxation. Gratitude for being born in this great country and the rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Thankfulness for the many soldiers who have fought for my freedom. I'm pretty pleased to say I can truly enjoy this holiday every year. And I can do so without fireworks.

2 comments:

Mrs. McGoo said...

sad day. fireworks are great for me. :)

Rachel L. said...

Me too! I hate them!! I went to Folsom field (CU's football stadium) and I was about 5 and my parents took me to see them there. Well its about as loud as an atomic bomb going off in your room and have hated them ever since.