Thursday, June 05, 2008

Germany: Wurzburg, May 10 Part 2

After our adventure on the monastery's mountain drinking beer with the aggressively adventurous Germans, we drove to Wurzburg for a late dinner with some of Brandon's co-workers. Having already had a traditional pork meal for my previous two meals, we felt it best to dine on something other than pork. Brandon's friend suggested sushi, which I am not really a fan of, but the restaurant had other Asian meal offerings and that was good enough for me.

I ordered some lo mein, while Brandon and his friends ordered Sushi Boats. I wasn't sure what that meant, but it was quite the site once the boats were brought to the table. Sadly, I don't have a photo of the Sushi Boat, but I can describe for you that the waitresses brought two wooden boats. The boats had wooden planks, masts, etc. and were at least two feet in length. Seriously, I'm not exaggerrating. Spread across the length of each boat's deck were roughly 30 pieces of a variety of sushi. This is not something you see every day, and I'm still upset I didn't capture it on film.

Brandon's friend lives in Wurzburg so he described for me some of the sights. There are only a few things I remember about the city. One of these facts is that Wurzburg is home to a university and often flooded with college age students. I also remember that the River Main runs through the center, and Brandon's friend, who is an engineer by trade, detailed for me the intriguing set up of the city's canal system, which can be seen here. I remember being fascinated by the facts about the canal and thinking "that's some good engineering" but I honestly can't remember what exactly made the canal's set up so intriguing.

Brandon's friend also pointed out the castle as seen here, called Marienberg Fortress. This building is like 500 years old, which is pretty incredible. It looked magnificent at night, and I was able to experiment with my camera's features in order to take this excellent photo. However, this is as close to the fortress as I was able to get. It does look pretty cool, I think. American doesn't have buildings like this, you know?

I didn't spend a ton of time in Wurzburg, but I can tell you that it seems like a pretty unique city and possibly a fairly fun place to live. And I did have two excellent meals there, so that's usually good enough for me. It's not every day you see a Sushi Boat, right?

No comments: