Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Germany: Kreuzburg, May 10 Part 1

On Saturday, Brandon was so generous to allow me to sleep off my jet lag; I think he was surprised when I surfaced back to life around noon because I probably could have slept all day. He informed me that we had a small excursion to Kreuzburg planned for the afternoon.

Brandon was generally giddy because the weather was just amazing. Seriously, he spent hours before my arrival saying things like, "Bring rain gear" or "It's probably going to be rainy the whole time you're here." But magically, karma and the travel gods were on my side, and the weather was already proving to be magnifcent.




Kreuzburg is one of Brandon's weekend hot spots, so when the weather is nice, a visit seems appropriate - that's what he told me anyway. Kreuzburg is situated on a mountain. These are the steps we had to climb to get to the top.















This is a view from the top of the mountain, which I think it quite quaint and beautiful.





Germans love this place. It attracts a great deal of locals who come out to hike and bike. There are lots of trails on top of the mountain, and the steps to the top can be a workout themselves. Germans love the outdoors, and they are fairly aggressive about their time spent in the sun. Many of them dawn spandex, some inappropriately short, and gear up to attack these trails via bike. Others grasp their walking poles in both hands in order to attack the trails via foot. It's all quite intense really, and I felt intimidated by their dedication to outodoor adventures.

Tourists also love this place. The mountain also plays home to Kloster Kreuzburg, which is basically a monastery - a monastery that serves beer. Yes, that's correct, a monastery that serves beer. For hundreds of years, the monks brewed beer and sold it atop this mountain. The monks stopped breweing the beer in 1985, but it is still served. So, I guess there's nothing better than to grab your stein and join in, because really, what could be better than drinking beer at a monastery on a Saturday afternoon?




Well, eating a giant fat soft pretzel with your beer makes it a whole lot better.





I think the Germans are on to something, by the way. I wonder how many Americans would work out more aggressively if beer was the reward atop a holy mountain?

No comments: