Thursday, June 12, 2008

Germany: Hofbrauhaus, May 11 Part 3


No trip to Munich is complete without a visit to the Hofbrauhaus, one of the world's oldest and most famous beer gardens. This place has been brewing beer since 1589, the time when Wilhelm V was the duke of Bavaria - he played a role in this place's creation. (I didn't know this at the time, but I learned it the next day when we toured Munich.)


The Hofbrauhaus remains famous today because it is the site of the yearly Oktoberfest when thousands of beer lovers flock here to get rowdy for hours upon hours.

Because it is such a famous place, it was fitting that this was our choice for dinner on Sunday night, after our adventures at Olympic Park. We settled down at a table in the outdoor portion of the beer garden, which was filled with tourists from all over the world - it was an excellent place to overhear conversations flooded with people's accents, which I definitely do love.

Brandon won out on the choice of dinner. He had the authentic meal of pork schnitzel; I know this because my sample of it was quite delicious. My dinner choice, on the other hand, was not as savory. I chose the meatloaf because I wanted a hearty meal. Instead, my meal could best be described as "a slab of hot dog" or "hot dog loaf". Now, I do love hot dogs typically, but this loaf wasn't the greatest thing in the world. The potato salad, however, was authentic and delicious.

Just about every tourist who drinks and dines here has some version of this photo, so here's my memory of beer-drinking at the Hofbrauhaus. Brandon would title this picture "The Poser" because the only beer I drank at this famous beer garden was the amount necessary to take the photo. These steins are gigantic, and I'm just not enough of a beer fan to give this the true go. I did sample, though, and I can tell you, this beer is definitely worth its Euro. Thank you, beer wench!

No comments: