Sunday, January 28, 2007

The Single Life

A great deal of the amazing women I know are single, myself included. (Yes, you read that correctly - I think I am an amazing person). Sometimes, I find this rather difficult to comprehend rationally. Each of these women I am thinking of has a lot to offer;

First, they are intelligent, capable of indulging conversation on many levels by entertaining multiple perspectives and appreciating differing viewpoints.

Second, they are socially capable of making new acquaintances, able to easily portray their true selves to others. They are not socially awkward or socially inept.

Third, they are easy-going and fun to be around. Each of them carries a uniqueness that is inspiring – when you spend one moment with them, you look forward to the next moment because you know it will be time well spent.

Fourth, they can find humor in just about every situation where humor is appropriate. This is a sign to me that they can find the simplicity and joy in life’s everyday, often mundane situations.

Fifth, they are passionate. There is something, or at times some things, that move them – they feel motivated to share their passions, often to make our world a better place.

Now, I know many of them like the single life, so I am not saying they SHOULD be in relationships. I truly don’t believe that. I believe we live in a society in which people place too much stock in relationships. There are people who judge us singletons for not being in a relationship, thinking we are not “normal” or “there is something wrong with us.” The fact of the matter is, many of us who are single like being single.

I’ve discussed this with these amazing friends because, at many times, I wouldn’t trade my single life for anything. I value what it has to offer; often, it is as simple as I can do whatever I want, whenever I want just about every day and, thus, I am usually getting everything I want out of my days. But, like most things, there are moments where the grass looks greener on the other side.

I go back and forth, not often, but seldom enough to wonder when it will be that I will find that person and relationship that will make me want to give up all of my daily joys and pleasures of my single life. I am pretty sure my friends have the same feelings.

Some days, the single life is most excellent, and some days you are wondering when it’s your turn to find that one person you want to spend quality time with, time that matters. Not every one of us is rushing to a future of marriage, but it is true that a lot of singletons, at the very least, want to entertain the idea of a relationship – give it a go for a while and see how things pan out. The hardest thing, I think, is actually taking the chance. I just keep wondering when my chance will present itself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i totally had a conversation about this the other day with some of my single detroit friends. . .

let's face it, when it comes down to it, you are a catch, we just have taste and won't take the average bait laid out.