Thursday, January 04, 2007

A New Era.

Today, the Democrats rose to power behind Nancy Pelosi, and I must say, I am quite excited about what the future holds for this country. I am optimistic that Congress and the House of Representatives will get their stuff together and begin to move America in a more positive direction. It's time to regain everything good about this great country as we move into the future.

There is a lot of controversy surrounding today's events on Capitol Hill. First, there are the numerous people who are bitter than the Democrats hold more seats in both Congress and the House. Second, there are those same numerous people who are also bitter than a female, Nancy Pelosi, is the Speaker of the House, and thus, second in line for President if such an instance would become necessary.

I, on the other hand, think this is phenomenal - it's about time there's some change in the make up of our governing bodies and I am pleased to support a female in control. I am also pleased to support both governing bodies as they are the most diverse groups of their nature to date - this variety in perspective can only help our leaders make decisions that take into consideration the wide interests of our diverse citizenship. Again, I think this is phenomenal.

The third biggest controversy discussed on the news today had to do with a new Congressman in the state of Minnesota, Keith Ellison. Congressman Ellison was sworn into office today by placing his hand upon a Quran, as he is a converted Muslim. Many people are appalled by this, as he is the first to use the Quran as he was sworn in.

Again, I disagree.

The fact of the matter is a Congressman or a Congresswoman does NOT have to even use a book to be sworn in. True, most choose to place their hand upon a Bible for this event, but this is not required by law. The swearing in requires the Congress-person to vow to uphold the Constitution of the United States. This makes me wonder:

Why, then, do they not require Congress-persons to be sworn in by placing their hand on a copy of the Constitution?

I mean, that would make sense, right?

But, like most things in America, there is choice here in what one does, and the choice is personal. There is no right or wrong.

I find it perfectly fine that Congressman Ellison chose to use the Quran. I find it perfectly find that others may use the Bible and still others nothing.

I mean, isn't that the right we have as US citizens? The right to choose? The right to do what we believe best for us, as long as we do not infringe upon the rights of others?

Seems to me there isn't a problem here. Seems to me people are just ridiculous and looking to make mountains out of molehills.

There's always something, I guess.

Regardless, it's time to MoveOn. Get on board.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN sister-friend! I believe church and state should look something like a venn diagram without any overlap. Perhaps if I ever have to swear in for something I'll bring a copy of Pride and Prejudice.

p.s. do you think Mormons in public office are sworn in using all of their scriptures? They use like 5 books. . . hmmm.