Thursday, October 12, 2006

America Runs on Dunkin.

John Goodman tells us that "America Runs on Dunkin" is the latest slogan by my favorite donut delight dealer, Dunkin Donuts.

This slogan is misleading. You see, ALL of America does NOT run on Dunkin. Why? Because I am in America and depressingly, I am NOT running on Dunkin.

You see, Dunkin Donuts is not available here in the Memphis. The closest Dunkin Donuts is in Jackson, which is a good 80 miles away. The next closest one I know of is in Clarksville, which is a good 3 hours away. Occassionally, I visit these places or someone visits me and I get to devour my favorite donuts (blueberry cake), muffins (chocolate chip), hot chocolate or vanilla bean coolatta (depending on the time of year). These are moments in food consumption that bring me great pleasure and delight.

Dunkin Donuts was a staple food of mine through college. While there was no Dunkin Donuts in Oxford, OH, while I was in graduate school, there was one close enough that I could get my fill usually monthly. In Memphis, I often go months without my Dunkin Donuts. This is quite challenging for me.

On average, I crave Dunkin Donuts about 3 times a day.

Today is one of those days where I especially craved the Dunkin. It has become rather cold in Memphis for October. This morning, when I left my apartment, it was about 40 degrees. This is a great morning where a drive through of Dunkin Donuts for a disgusting-yet-delicious breakfast sandwich and some coffee would have suited me nicely.

Instead, I ate some cereal.

I just ventured out of the office on my break, and the weather is slightly rainy and dreary, a whopping 49 degrees. Again, another moment in which the Dunkin Donuts would have been delightful - a quick hot chocolate and a muffin perhaps to get me through the night of work.

Instead, I have a salad for dinner.

Tonight, it is a well known fact that I will crave the Dunkin. It will be colder when I leave and the hot chocolate/donut combo will be calling my name.

Sadly, I will go home and eat pretzels.

It is with sadness that I continue to live my life deprived of my weekly intake of Dunkin Donuts.

For those of you that have this great pleasure, I hope you realize how wonderful it is and how lucky you are. If you are one of those Americans who run on Dunkin, you are indeed privileged.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

cv,
i hate to tell you this, but there are four dunkin donuts in my town. two within walking distance from my house.
i love the munchkins. they fit into my "i can't always eat one big sweet thing, but can eat 20 small sweet things" like how i can't handle a full snickers bar, but can eat a bag of "fun size" snickers in 10 minutes. i can down a box of twenty munchkins without batting an eye, but a full donut is a bit too much for me...

coolattas! mmmmm...do you remember when they had chocolate coolattas? they only lasted a year but were phenom.

Anonymous said...

Sad news friends. The DD in Colerain closed this summer. Now our friends in Oxvegas have to drive to Dayton or Cinci for the delectable treat.