Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Best Day of the Year

In a few hours, my brother and friends will arrive in Memphis for what is shaping up to be one excellent weekend. Thanksgiving is by far the best day of the entire year. It's absolutely enjoyable - an excuse to eat like the meal will be your last and sit around watching football, drinking, and hanging out.

This year is uniquely special for me for two reasons. First, this is the first Thanksgiving that I won't be in PA, and second, this is the first Thanksgiving dinner that I am responsible for pulling off. While I am saddened to not be in the coal region drinking like an idiot until 4am, I am just as excited about hanging out in Memphis with brother and friends and making my own Thanksgiving meal. It's definitely the largest meal I've taken on at this point in my life and I am excited for the challenge.

I have prepared desserts already - first time for an apple pie - and I am quite pleased with myself. I have a good feeling that tomorrow's kitchen adventures will prove successful as well. I'm also feeling that this can be the start of a three-week bender of heavy eating, drinking, and laughing as my time in Memphis comes to a close. I can't think of a better time to kick this off than with Thanksgiving!

Love, peace and turkey grease!

No comments: