Sunday, February 17, 2008

Food TV

I watch the Food Network. A lot. Seriously, my roommate thinks I am a freak because I spend a great deal of time watching people cook things. I like food, and I am interested in learning about food - how to cook something new, how to cook something differently, where to go for good foods.... I mean, the information is endless.

It dawned on me tonight that one of the reasons I watch so much of this channel goes beyond my interest in food and food knowledge, so here are just a few reasons:

1. I pay a cable bill for over 200 channels each month. In total, I probably only watch 15 channels or less. The reason here is because most television shows are just plain crap. Most shows are not even worth the time. Whereas, watching even a half hour of the Food Network gives me at least one idea of something new to try or one new fact about food.

2. I can only take so much news. This has two subpoints.

2a. Much of the news is depressing. It's true. We live in an often depressing world. Murders, rapes, violence, corrupt business owners, cheaters in sports... I mean, you can only take so much of this in one sitting.

2b. Much of the news relates to celebrity gossip. Frankly, I just don't care if Britney Spears is in or out of rehab or if Madonna is adopting children or whatever. It does nothing for me to know any of this. In fact, it disturbs me that more people know the intricacies of celebrities' lives than people know the candidates to be the next President of the United States.

3. The Food Network has a diverse repertoire of shows - instructional recipes, competitions, travel.... the possibilities are endless... there's always something interesting, and I rarely feel the need to channel surf to find something better. I am never disappointed.

4. I want to cook, perhaps professionally. This is one of my latest "ideas" for my future. So why not watch the Food Network? Why not dream that one day I could make something in my kitchen that would bring other people pleasure?

So, if you're not a Food Network fan, try it. I think you'll find something you'll like...

2 comments:

sus said...

Sometimes I get heartburn watching Giada. . .

Rachel L. said...

Everyday Italian! Easy on the eyes and makes my tummy rumble..