Tuesday, February 19, 2008

American Idol

I'm not one of the obsessive freaks who allow American Idol to rule their lives for the duration of five months. I do not phone or text in votes each week. However, I do watch the show regularly for its entertainment value.

First, I like Simon.
a. He's British = brilliant accent.
b. He's an ass = tells it like it is.

These are generally types of people I like.

Second, I like competition. So of course I like experiences where I can attempt to predict the winner or the losers each week. This helps my ego on a repetitive basis.

Third, as mentioned in a previous post, a lot of television sucks. This is at least interesting on a weekly basis.

The only drawback I find is that the show takes over your tv-viewing life. It's on for over four hours this week. That's a lot of time to dedicate to sitting on my ass. Not that I can't handle it, because of course, I can. It's just a lot.

Oh, there's a second drawback. The audition phase. Lasts way too long. Shows way too much ridiculousness. Seriously, does it bother anyone else that we broadcast to the world a high number of fellow Americans who have no disregard for making a complete idiot out of themselves on television? What does this say to those abroad? Seriously, it's bad.

Interestingly enough, I will be tuning in to watch the remainder of the season and see who will be the "next American Idol." Frankly, I hope it's not actually an American. My favorite female contender is from Ireland while my favorite male contender is from Australia. So, perhaps they will win it all, but can they really be called the "next American Idol" if they do?

No comments: