Thursday, June 29, 2006

And finally, for lunch...

Chicken and Waffles, 75 cents
Mashed Potatoes with gravy, 25 cents
Corn, 25 cents
Milk, 30 cents
and Sandwich of the Week: Chicken Salad with Lettuce, 75 cents


A trip down memory lane to the great Mount Carmel Area High School Lunch.

The family went out for lunch today to Masser's and I proceeded to eat Chicken and Waffles, which was my absolute favorite lunch in high school. As you can see from the prices above, well worth the money. In fact, it really only cost $1 if you bought the whole lunch, which often was the case.

Over today's lunch, we debated on the best high school lunches of all time. My top five:

1. Chicken and Waffles (clearly, a local favorite)
2. Salisbury Steak (delicious, grade-E meat)
3. Tacos (made the best taco salad ever)
4. Rotini with Meat Sauce (loved the supplemental salad, i.e. shredded lettuce, and the tea roll)
5. Meatball Hoagie (chips go on the hoagie)

"Big Plate Thursday" clearly dominates the winners.

Brother Joe will disagree and say that the Steak Hoagie should make the top five, but this is my blog, and what I say goes.

We do agree that Chili and Baked Potato Bar clearly fall into the category of "Most Underrated Lunch".

I think most of us who went to MCA appreciated the cheapness and the quality of the food we had for daily lunch. I know that when I'm shuffling over $6 in TigerDen now at UMemphis for Subway or Chick-Fil-A that I often would rather the high school food options and prices. And besides, what could be better than listening to "Mezz" and "Chez" read your menu over the televised morning news each day. Clearly, a good package deal if you ask me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

do you remember the 1 time in all our years in high school that they actually put cheese on the steak hoagies? It felt like a holiday.