Thursday, March 05, 2009

In the dining room with the candlestick...

I previously posted that I've started participating in Sunday GameDay with my aunt and cousin. We try to play some sort of game one day a week to pass the time and just enjoy each other's company. Our first outing involved playing Monopoly while other outings have included Clue, Life, Racko, and Boggle. Last week, only my aunt and I were able to play so we opted for two-player games like Electronic Talking Battleship and Stratego.

Occassionally, we try to pick up a game during the week. Today, after a delicious lunch, we opted for some Clue, since it is our favorite game. At this point, I think it's the only game we can play so Jen will keep joining us. The first time we played Clue we used the original game, but since then, we have been playing the revamped, newer game. This new version has the same characters like Colonel Mustard and Mrs. Peacock, but there are some different weapons like a trophy and poison and some different rooms like the observatory instead of the conservatory.

The goal of the game remains the same. Prove who committed murder with what weapon in what room. However, there are a few new twists. Your character has some special powers as it relates to moving about the game board and figuring out clues. There are also intrigue cards; if you roll or land on a question mark or are "rumored" in committing a murder, you get to choose one of these cards. These cards allow you to make certain plays in the game, like taking an extra turn or moving anywhere on the board. Hidden in these cards are also "clock cards"; these cards are considered a timer. The person who draws the 8th clock card is considered murdered and cannot continue in the game.

We have played probably 20 games using this new version and no one has fallen to the wrath of the clock card. Until today, that is. I had the magical opportunity to draw the clock card and upon doing so, immediately yelled "Murderer!" in the spirit of the game. It's fun when new things happen during GameDay. Unfortunately, I didn't win the game, but it was fun to see the entire new game finally play out.

I really love GameDay. I never could have predicted at this point in my life that this would be one of my favorite things about each week, but I really do enjoy this quality time with the family. I just hope next time we play, I get to solve the murder. It's a pretty good feeling when you figure it out first!

No comments: